Ipswich teenager threw petrol bombs

The trial is ongoing at Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: SIMON PARKER

The trial is ongoing at Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: SIMON PARKER - Credit: Archant

An Ipswich teenager who threw petrol bombs at houses in a residential street in the town has been warned to expect a period of youth detention when he is sentenced in June.

Edvinas Janavicius, 18, went to a house in Bramford Road at around 4am on February 3 with his face covered and became involved in a scuffle with the home owner after trying to force his way into the house, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

During the incident Janavicius had assaulted the man with a brick before returning later and throwing five or six petrol bombs.

Today (Monday) Janavicius, of Norwich Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm and three offences of arson being reckless as to whether life would be endangered.

The case was adjourned until the week beginning June 11 for a psychiatric report to be prepared on Janavicius, who has no previous convictions.


You may also want to watch:


Judge Emma Peters told Janavicius that the offences he had admitted were serious and he was likely to receive a period of youth detention.

Charles Myatt, for Janavicius, said his client had been very drunk and had taken ecstasy and “hadn’t been thinking straight” when he committed the offences.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter