Ipswich: The Brickmakers Arms forced into temporary closure - Staff reveal heartbreak but new tenants set to move in
- Credit: PA
Staff at an Ipswich pub forced into temporary closure have spoken of their heartbreak, describing the move as “an end of an era”.
The Brickmakers Arms closed its doors yesterday following days of speculation over the future of the Spring Road venue.
Owners Punch Taverns yesterday confirmed the closure, saying new tenants are ready to take over the running of the pub before permanent landlords are sought.
A spokesman declined to disclose the reasons behind the move but it is believed Brickmakers Arms Ltd approached Punch Taverns after falling into liquidation.
It is understood permanent owners are being sought while temporary management moves in to the pub.
However it is thought the venue will remain as a community pub and may even receive an investment boost.
In a statement on their Facebook page, The Brickmakers Arms said: “We can now announce that we have all lost our jobs and some our homes.
- 1 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 2 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 3 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 4 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
- 7 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 8 First look at 172-bed student accommodation plan
- 9 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 10 Police stop two vans overloaded by more than a ton each in Ipswich
“We again thank all you customers for your support over the past years. Certainly is an end of an era.”
The site posted a message from barman Scott Doughty, saying: “I would like to thank all my friends & customers from my heart.”
A Punch Taverns spokesman said: “There has been a change in tenant at the Brickmakers Arms which has resulted in a short period of closure. New tenants are ready to take over the operation of the pub and we are working to re-open the site at the earliest opportunity.”
Staff at the Brickmakers Arms did not respond to requests for comments.