Ipswich thief jailed after 19-count shoplifting spree
- Credit: Archant
A 36-year-old man has been jailed for 18 months after committing nearly 20 shoplifting offences around Ipswich.
Ruslanas Volkovas, of Sirdar Road, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court after pleading guilty to 19 counts of theft from shop when he appeared at an earlier hearing.
Volkovas primarily targeted Co-op stores, striking at its shops on 15 occasions to steal, coffee, baby formula, detergent, toiletries and meat.
Eighteen of the offences took place between August 8 and September 9.
The value of the goods involved in was more than £1,000.
Volkovas was accused of targeting Co-op stores in Bramford Lane on four occasions, Meredith Road three times and twice at its shops in Foxhall Road, Austin Street, and Nacton Road.
The Lithuanian-national also stole from the business’ shops in Handford Road, Clapgate Lane, and Foxhall Road,
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
In addition Volkovas went into Savers in Upper Brook Street on August 24 and on August 25 to steal toiletries amounting to £61.93.
On another occasion he stole chocolate worth £19 from Tesco Express in Nacton Road on September 7.
This occurred on the same day he took coffee, detergent, toiletries and chocolate totalling £163.86 from the Co-op in Clapgate Lane – the largest of the hauls during his spree.
The final theft was when Volkovas took a Brita water filters valued at £12,99 from The Range on Suffolk Retail Park, off Handford Road, on October 6.
The total value of the goods involved in the 19 charges was £1,068.45
Volkovas, who has previous convictions, originally appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court on the accusations.
However, due to the volume of offences the case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court and Volkovas was remanded in custody.
In addition to his 18-month jail term Volkovas was ordered to pay a £180 criminal courts charge and £100 to the victims’ fund.