Ipswich: Thunderstorms, lightning, hail storms, heavy rain, winds of 55mph – Our weird weather forecast today
- Credit: PA
Thunderstorms, hail storms and gusts of up to 55mph are expected to continue to batter Ipswich today following a morning of extreme wintry weather.
Flashes of lightning, outbreaks of hail storms and fierce downpours hit Ipswich and parts of Suffolk overnight and this morning, leaving many rooftops and roads with a wintry white coating.
Phil Garner, forecaster at University of East Anglia based Weatherquest, said the turbulent weather is expected to last until the afternoon before heavy and prolonged periods of rain replace the extreme weather.
“More thunderstorms and hail are a possibility. They are likely to go on through until the afternoon with longer spells showers expected (afterwards),” he said.
“Gusts will reach speeds of around 55mph as a deep area of low pressure sweeps through from the west of Ireland.”
You may also want to watch:
He said temperatures could reach up to 9C (48F) today but warned strong winds will make conditions seem cold.
“It is still a day for wrapping up warm,” he added.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Do you have any pictures of this morning’s thunderstorms? Have they affected you? Email email@example.com or call 01473 324788.