Ipswich to launch City of Culture bid
Ipswich is making a joint bid to become the UK's first City of Culture.The competition to become the UK's City of Culture in 2013 will enter its next stage tomorrow.
Ipswich and the Haven Gateway are making a joint bid to become the UK's first City of Culture for 2013.
The bid was launched at a ceremony today and will be submitted to the government tomorrow.
If successful, the region could host a series of top events including the Brit Awards and the BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2013.
The bid unites Ipswich and Colchester - the main urban areas of the Haven Gateway - as well as the surrounding rural and coastal communities.
You may also want to watch:
The region will be competing against 20 other cities for the title including Norwich and Southend.
It's expected that a shortlist of five cities will be announced in January or February 2010 with final bids being submitted in May next year.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot