Town centre dragon hunt for St George’s Day
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich residents have celebrated St George’s Day by going on a dragon hunt.
With Game of Thrones dominating everyone’s social media feeds, there is a lot of talk about dragons at the moment but have you seen the beasts lurking on some of the ancient buildings in Ipswich?
In honour of St George’s Day a walking tour, which started at Ipswich Tourist Information Centre, set off to find the hidden dragons of Ipswich.
Leading the walk around the town centre was knowledgeable Ipswich tour guide Elizabeth Serpell who thinks it is “sad that more people don’t talk about St George’s Day”.
Mrs Serpell added: “We should celebrate our national day, wouldn’t it be nice if we had a Bank Holiday for St George’s Day.”
Julie Greenhalgh, from Ipswich, joined the walk. She said: “I know when St George’s Day is but I wouldn’t say I celebrate it.”
One of the first stops on the tour was the Ipswich Ancient House, where you can see St George riding a dragon on the outside of the building.
- 1 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 2 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 3 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 7 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 8 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 9 Jailed in November: The criminals locked up in Suffolk last month
- 10 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
Have your say in our poll. Do you know when St George’s Day is and do you celebrate it? And let us know if you manage to spot any of the hidden dragons of Ipswich.