Ipswich Town: Action taken to stop Norwich City fans buying home tickets for East Anglian derby at Portman Road in Championship
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have stepped up measures to prevent Norwich City fans buying tickets for seats designated for home supporters at Portman Road at next month’s East Anglian derby.
Only Blues fans who have bought tickets, memberships or season tickets from the club in their own name or customer number over the last 10 years can buy tickets online for the eagerly-anticipated Championship fixture against the Canaries on August 23.
The online facility for buying tickets originally had a three-year restriction, but due to a high volume of calls at the club’s ticket office it has been extended to 10 years.
Away supporters face the possibility of being escorted out of the stadium on match day if they are seated in areas designated for Town fans.
Lee Hyde, director of retail and ticket operations at Ipswich Town, said: “The demand for tickets as you would expect is high.
“You have to have a restriction on online sales otherwise we could have away fans purchasing online so we put the three year ceiling in place. We also felt that was fair to our supporters but we’ve now had to extend that to 10 years.
“We’re getting so many calls from fans who have not purchased a ticket in the last three years and want to go to the game so we’ve opened up the criteria which allows more supporters to purchase online.”
- 1 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 2 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 3 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 7 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 8 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 9 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
Tickets for the Saturday lunchtime kick-off against the Canaries went on general sale this morning.
An Ipswich Town spokesman added: “Supporters who fall outside the 10-year window should either call the ticket office on 03330 050503 or buy in person from Planet Blue but restrictions are in place in order to prevent Norwich fans purchasing tickets in home areas.”
Supporters can purchase up to four tickets for the derby on their customer number.