Ipswich Town captain Luke Chambers fined by court for speeding
Ipswich Town skipper Luke Chambers has been ordered to pay £600 in fines and court costs after being caught speeding.
The 29-year-old had been issued with an offer of a Speed Awareness Course or a fixed penalty after being caught speeding near the club’s training ground in Playford Road.
However, Chambers, of north Ipswich, did not attend the course or pay the £100 fixed penalty with the time constraints after a speed camera caught his Mercedes travelling at 36mph in a 30mph zone just before 4pm on Friday, May 8.
As a consequence he was summonsed to South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich.
Chambers, who the court heard earns £6,000 per week, did not appear in person, but pleaded guilty by post to speeding.
The three magistrates endorsed Chambers’ licence with three penalty points.
He was fined £335 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £85.
- 1 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 2 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 3 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 6 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 7 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 8 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 9 Warning after spate of catalytic converter thefts
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
In addition Chambers must pay £34 to the victims’ fund and a further £150 criminal courts charge.
Ipswich signed Kettering-born Chambers from Nottingham Forest in July 2012 when Paul Jewell was town’s manager.
Before last night’s game against Birmingham Chambers had made a total of 153 appearances for the Tractor Boys and scored seven goals.
He had also captained the club 100 times after taking over the role permanently from previous skipper Carlos Edwards which he was transferred to Millwall last year.
Chambers is known as a centre back, but often plays as full back for Town.