Marquee at Ipswich Town's training ground left scorched after fire
- Credit: Steve Smith
Firefighters are working with Ipswich Town to establish the cause of a blaze which destroyed a marquee at the club's Rushmere training ground this weekend.
The blaze at the Playford Road complex, which opened in 2001, was discovered on Sunday morning.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: "Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service continues to work with Ipswich Town Football Club on an investigation into the cause of a fire at their training ground in the early hours of Sunday 6 February, and would welcome anyone coming forward with information to assist with this."
The spokesman stressed the blaze was not currently thought to be suspicious.
A statement from the club said: "The club is disappointed to announce fire damage to part of the Playford Road training ground facilities.
"The fire was discovered on the morning of Sunday, 6 February 2022. No one was injured.
"A marquee, used for player activation and fitness sessions, has been destroyed.
- 1 'Tit for tat' attacks driven by gang members vying for position, police say
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 4 Thunderstorms warning upgraded in Suffolk ahead of rain
- 5 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 6 Four people charged as police find machete after brawl in Ipswich street
- 7 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 8 VW Golf stolen from Ipswich road after thieves take car keys from home
- 9 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 10 Window smashed at Ipswich home in spate of attempted burglaries
"The club takes great pride in its local community and we see ourselves as one of the many organisations leading on that front. We would therefore be extremely disappointed should it be discovered that the damage caused was intentional.
"The club will await a report from the relevant authorities and will make no further comment at this time."