Ipswich: Town’s hockey duo strip off to raise awareness of charity and their sport
IPSWICH: They are used to running around on a pitch with their eyes on the goal.
But today GB hockey stars and Olympic hopefuls George Pinner and Harry Martin, have a new goal in mind – raising awareness of cancer charity Everyman.
The former Ipswich School duo posed naked with their team-mates for the July issue of Cosmopolitan, which hits the stands today.
Goalkeeper George, said the players agreed to take part in the shoot in hope of raising awareness of the cancer charity’s campaign and the profile of hockey.
Cosmopolitan has joined forces with Everyman for the last 11 years, with every issue featuring a well-known male star posing naked to raise awareness of testicular and prostate cancer.
You may also want to watch:
The hockey boys join a host of other GB hopefuls who have posed naked for the latest edition.
Although their modesty is hidden in the shot, the pair both agreed they were expecting bigger props.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
“I wasn’t expecting to be so naked,” George said. “But it’s raising awareness of a great cause and at the same time it is really great for hockey.
“I think we all did it because it is something a bit different. We shot it in December after we got back from the Champions Trophy in New Zealand.
“I think that anything that raises the profile of the sport is a good thing because hopefully we can tempt more people into watching and enjoying hockey.”
Nineteen-year-old Harry, a midfielder who debuted for team GB in 2010, said: “We were expecting bigger props than just our sticks.”
The talented pair, who are follow in the footsteps of previous Cosmopolitan centrefolds including Lenny Kravitz, Roger Moore, Ewan McGregor, Rupert Everett and Eminem, are now setting their sights on the fast approaching London 2012 Olympic Games.
A spokeswoman for Team GB Hockey said: “It’s great for the sport because it gets people talking.
“I think a lot of people don’t expect the hockey team to be as strong and physically fit as they are.”
Harry and George will discover whether they have made the cut for the Olympic hockey team within the next three weeks.
n To find out more about the Everyman Appeal, visit www.everyman-appeal.org
n Are you doing something special for charity? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org