Ipswich Town’s slogan appeal for new ‘giant’ display boards at Portman Road gets mixed response from fans on Twitter
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town fans have given a mixed response to the club’s appeal for slogan ideas for two new display boards at Portman Road.
The club announced on Twitter today that two “giant” signs will be placed at the back of the Sir Bobby Robson Stand (North Stand) before the start of the season and asked supporters for “sensible” suggestions of what they should feature.
Serious ideas ranged from honouring Blues legends to displaying the club’s list of honours.
But some used the social media appeal to vent frustrations with mock suggestions.
Twitter user Jack Lockyer wrote: “No ambition = bored fans.” Hannah (@hannah_itfc) said: “Welcome to the home of Championship Football”. Matt Francis posted “sign someone”, while user LewisMatthews1 suggested: “’We were really good in 1981’”
Other responses included: “Fortress Nugent”; “Better than Norwich”; “Tractor Boys and Pride of Anglia”; and “support Town when we lose, support Town when we win, be loyal”.
The majority of responses were treated seriously. Craig Lockwood wrote: “Sir Alf Ramsey 61-62 and picture of a trophy, Sir Bobby Robson 78 & 81 and picture of 2 trophies #Winners.”
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 3 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 4 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 7 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 8 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 9 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 10 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
BCM (@bcm028) added: “As it’s Sir Bobby end, Sir Bobby Robson & maybe his club quote “the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride”.”
The club had posted on Twitter: “We are looking to introduce two giant signs to sit at the back of the North Stand this season and want to know what you would like them to read.
“Post your thoughts on the wording on the signs below and they will be collated and passed on to the senior management team.”
The winning slogan will be announced next week. This newspaper also understands that the Sir Alf Ramsey stand will be decorated at the back of the stand with Town flags.
A club spokesman said: “It’s about getting a bit more colour and Ipswich Town feel around the stadium and we’ve had some positive suggestions that we will work with.”
Meanwhile, it is believed that the club is aiming to develop a new ‘Fan’s Park’ at Portman Road before the new season kicks off.
It would host live music, show live football on a large screen and be open to all ticketholders from 12pm onwards.