Ipswich: Town Tesco saga throws deal for rival superstore into doubt
WITH the future of Tesco’s proposals for Grafton Way under the microscope, one group following the saga with interest is the developer of the Civic Centre site.
Turnstone Developments had hoped to go ahead with a major development at the site, close to the New Wolsey Theatre, anchored by a new superstore and with other stores as part of the scheme.
The firm had been in talks with Morrisons about creating a large store at the heart of the scheme – but said that deal could not go ahead with the threat of Tesco building a rival store just half a mile away.
The Civic Centre site is also expected to grow once the police finally pull out of the last part of the Elm Street station that they occupy, later this year.
If the developers of the rest of the Civic Centre site are able to add the police station to their landholding, it would give them better access and enable a better scheme to be put together.
A spokesman for Turnstone said the company was monitoring the situation, but it was not clear that anything had changed – and they would need more confidence before bringing new plans forward.
Meanwhile, Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement repeated his call for the borough to ensure that there was no “open-ended” consent granted to Tesco – any consent should require work to start within a fixed period, possibly two years.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 3 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 4 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 6 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 7 Alleyway near Ipswich town centre remains sealed off after serious assault
- 8 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
What should happen to the Civic Centre site? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com