Ipswich: Tributes paid to toddler who died after collision with a van in an Ipswich playing field

Floral tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler

Floral tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler - Credit: Archant

Poignant tributes have been paid to a toddler who died after being hit by a van at a playing field in Ipswich.

Floral tributes with messages and a teddy bear were placed at the scene of the collision, at the junction of Lovetofts Drive and Bramford Lane, while messages of support and grief were also posted online.

The 20-month-old child, believed to be a boy, was driven to Ipswich Police’s HQ Landmark House after the collision at about 12.45pm on Tuesday. Despite attempts by officers to resusitate him, he was pronounced dead.

Among the touching messages left at the scene was: “From one mother to another, my heart goes out to you. We are not all the same”

Another said: “Thinking of you in your time of sorrow. RIP little angel.”

Community leaders have also spoken of their shock over the incident and their sadness for the family.

Albert Grant, borough councillor for Whitehouse ward, described the incident as very unfortunate and hard to comprehend.

Most Read

He added: “I had an area committee meeting that night and the people that were there were concerned about what had happened. There were people that took flowers to the park.

“On behalf of the area, they have our deepest sympathies for their loss.”

Tributes were also paid to the youngster on the Ipswich Star’s Facebook page.

Jennifer Staff wrote: “Thoughts are with the family at this sad and tragic time. RIP little one.”

Kelly Jean Flewitt added: “Can’t imagine how the family must be feeling. Thoughts are with them. RIP little man.”

Melody Raymond wrote: “RIP sweet little angel. My thoughts are with all who knew him, especially the parents and any close family. So young – gone but certainly never forgotten.”

A large group of travellers moved on to the playing field about a week ago and more arrived in convoy on Tuesday afternoon.

Inquiries are now continuing into the circumstances surrounding the death.

A 37-year-old man, of no fixed abode, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving on Tuesday but he has since been bailed.

You can leave your tributes in the comment space below.