Ipswich: TV makeover for carer Brenda who puts others first
IPSWICH: When Brenda Atkinson treated herself to a pair of GHD straighteners her daughter thought she was finally going to pamper herself – only to discover they were for her prize pooches!
But yesterday, Ms Atkinson, of Foxhall Road, was a star for the day as the make-over team from ITV’s This Morning descended on Ipswich’s Debenhams store to surprise the mum-of-two, who celebrates her 60th birthday next week.
Lured to the department store under the guise of a shopping trip with her daughter, Ms Atkinson said she was “shocked” to see presenter Alison Hammond there to welcome her.
Speaking to the Star as make-up artists and hairdressers transformed her look, Ms Atkinson, a carer for the elderly for the last 11 years, said: “Initially it was a big shock.
“I am feeling OK now, I am enjoying it.”
To treat her mum, proud daughter Cherry Peck applied to This Morning’s team via the show’s Facebook page to take part in the Shop Floor Stunners section of the show.
The 38-year-old said: “My mum is a carer, she has worked every single Christmas Day for the last 11 years and spends her time looking after the elderly.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 6 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 7 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 10 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
“When she is not at work she has moved in to look after me. I have been in and out of hospital since November and she is always there for me, looking after me and my kids.
“She never takes any time for herself.”
After the big reveal, live on ITV, Ms Atkinson added: “I love it, it was absolutely brilliant.
“It was lovely to have people make a fuss of me, it was a very special day.
“Thank you to my daughter and granddaughter Rachel.”
A spokeswoman for Debenhams said: “We are delighted to be involved with This Morning and Brenda’s pampering make-over for her birthday, and hope she is pleased with her new look.”
n Do you know someone who deserves recognition? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org