Ipswich: UEFA trophy comes back to Ipswich for special 30th anniversary event
IPSWICH: Organisers behind the highly-anticipated reunion of Ipswich’s 1981 UEFA Cup triumph today revealed the famous trophy will be in town especially for the occasion.
The celebration marking the 30th anniversary of the Blues’ European conquest – UEFA 30 – will take place on May 30.
Several of the stars of Sir Bobby Robson’s team will be in attendance – including Dutch master Frans Thijssen.
And they will be joined by the UEFA Cup itself, which will be making a rare return to Suffolk.
The reunion is being arranged by Ipswich Town, Ipswich Borough Council and The Evening Star and will take place at the town hall.
You may also want to watch:
Among the guests of honour who have already confirmed their attendance are Mick Mills, Eric Gates, Paul Cooper, George Burley, John Wark and Kevin Beattie.
There are still a handful of tables available to fans wishing to be part of a very special occasion.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 3 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 4 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
The blue and white bedecked tables will be laid out so guests are close to the stars of yesteryear – offering the chance to collect autographs and have a quick chat at the same time.
Fans will also receive a complimentary reprint of the 1981 final programme.
The night will include an auction with an array of excellent prizes including footballs signed by the 1981 team and the chance to win a box for ten at an Ipswich Town game next season plus a delicious three-course meal.
Any profits from the evening will go to the Ipswich Town Charitable Trust.
Special guest Stuart Jarrold will be hosting the evening and will interview the players after the meal has finished – as well as some special guests, too.
Organiser Austen Dack said: “The event will be a glittering tribute to the players and fun for all involved.”
Former Town star John Wark said he was looking forward to the reunion.
“I’m excited, without a shadow of a doubt,” he said.
“It is a massive part of my life and it will be great for the town and the fans to see us all back together.”
If you would like a corporate table of ten (priced at �100 per person plus VAT) or a pair of seats, call 01353 658216 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
n What are your memories of Town’s UEFA Cup glory? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.