Ipswich: Victory for heart patients as funding for centre is secured
TODAY marks a vital victory for heart patients in Ipswich and east Suffolk.
After more than two years fighting to bring a specialist elective heart centre to Ipswich Hospital, the Star can today reveal the funding has been found and the facility will be built.
For hundreds of heart patients – who currently have to travel to Papworth Hospital in Cambridge for routine procedures – the new centre will give access to vital treatment on their doorstep.
Supporters of the Star’s Have A Heart campaign today celebrated the milestone.
And one heart patient called for the fight to go on, to bring emergency heart treatment to the town.
Sarah Riley, 27, said: “Every second counts with heart care so to have emergency treatment in Ipswich is essential.”
Peter Donaldson, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust medical director said it is “fantastic news”, praising the Star’s “important” campaign and the support of the public.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 3 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 6 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 7 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 8 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
- 9 GALLERY: 14 pictures from the Ipswich Twilight Races 2022
- 10 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
Once the facility is built, Suffolk patients requiring elective treatment and planned angioplasty will be able to access the service at Ipswich Hospital, rather than travelling to hospitals outside the county.
Currently patients are forced to travel to Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire for routine treatment.
However, residents requiring emergency treatment will continue to receive care at one of the three specialist PPCI centres at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, Papworth and Basildon.
n For the full story and reacton, see today’s Ipswich Star.