Ipswich: Victory for heart patients as funding for centre is secured
TODAY marks a vital victory for heart patients in Ipswich and east Suffolk.
After more than two years fighting to bring a specialist elective heart centre to Ipswich Hospital, the Star can today reveal the funding has been found and the facility will be built.
For hundreds of heart patients – who currently have to travel to Papworth Hospital in Cambridge for routine procedures – the new centre will give access to vital treatment on their doorstep.
Supporters of the Star’s Have A Heart campaign today celebrated the milestone.
And one heart patient called for the fight to go on, to bring emergency heart treatment to the town.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Riley, 27, said: “Every second counts with heart care so to have emergency treatment in Ipswich is essential.”
Peter Donaldson, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust medical director said it is “fantastic news”, praising the Star’s “important” campaign and the support of the public.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
Once the facility is built, Suffolk patients requiring elective treatment and planned angioplasty will be able to access the service at Ipswich Hospital, rather than travelling to hospitals outside the county.
Currently patients are forced to travel to Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire for routine treatment.
However, residents requiring emergency treatment will continue to receive care at one of the three specialist PPCI centres at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, Papworth and Basildon.
n For the full story and reacton, see today’s Ipswich Star.