Ipswich: Violent robber Peter Green who was found hiding in friend’s cupboard after mugging two women in separate attacks is jailed for six years.
- Credit: Archant
A violent robber who was found hiding in a friend’s cupboard has been jailed for six years after punching two woman and stealing their handbags.
Peter Green, 33, of no fixed abode but previously the Ipswich area, was convicted of two counts of robbery following a trial at Norwich Crown Court.
The court heard that on March 14 as a 22-year-old woman was walking into flats in Wherstead Road with her 11-month-old child in a pushchair,
Green came up behind her and tried to grab her handbag from her shoulder.
When he was not able to get the bag he punched the woman in the face four times. By this time she was inside the entrance of the block of flats. Green then made off with her handbag and its contents.
The second robbery happened in Grove Lane three days later.
Green followed a 19-year-old woman along Grove Lane for a while, grabbed her hair, punched her in the face and made off with her handbag.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 7 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 8 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 9 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 10 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
Police subsequently caught Green when they went to the home of a friend of his in Austin Street.
While looking round the property an officer discovered Green hiding in a storage cupboard in the living room.
Speaking Green was jailed Detective Sergeant Craig Brett from Ipswich CID said: “Green preyed on these two women during daylight hours.
He assaulted both of them, one of which he followed for a period of time before coming up behind her, grabbing her hair and punching her in the face.
As a result of this, the victim suffered swelling to her face and a concussion.
“The other victim he assaulted whilst she was pushing along her child in a buggy, and when she tried to hold onto her bag, he punched her numerous times. This resulted in the victim sustaining bruising to her face that was so severe it was painful for her to even speak to officers.
“These were terrifying ordeals for both women.
“I hope that this sentence shows these victims that Suffolk Police will not stand for incidents like this and offenders will be arrested and held accountable for their actions.”