Ipswich: We’re having a ball!
IPSWICH: An exciting partnership has today been struck between The Evening Star and Ipswich Borough Council to bring even more glitter to the annual Ipswich and Suffolk Press Ball.
The Evening Star and the council will jointly stage the event in the Corn Exchange in June next year – when more than 300 guests will arrive via a red carpet entrance through the adjoining Town Hall.
Ipswich mayor Jane Chambers and Evening Star editor Nigel Pickover celebrated the partnership with a special Cornhill photocall.
The 2011 ball will raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust (CFT) as well as other local charities that will be selected next year in conjunction with the incoming mayor.
This year’s event raised more than �15,000 and a cheque for �12,500 was last week handed over to CFT.
Another cheque will next week be handed over to St Elizabeth Hospice in Ipswich.
Launching the event, Mr Pickover said: “We are delighted to be linking up with Ipswich Borough Council and the mayor, the new partnership will provide a massive boost for the Press Ball as it enters its 15th year.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 3 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
He added: “The ball will be given a new lease of life with a move to the Corn Exchange and we have great news coming about a major, international singing star who will be headlining the event.”
Mick Parker, of Parker Communications, will again assume the role of technical director for the glamorous affair.
He told the Star: “This is going to be an astonishing Press Ball, we have formed a wonderful partnership with Ipswich Borough Council and the mayor to make this a most successful evening.”
The 2011 Press Ball, is being staged on Friday, June 17.
n If you are interested in Press Ball tickets for 2011 please contact the Mayor’s secretary Christine Christensen on 01473 432641.