Ipswich: Wheelchair-bound 84-year-old cleared of groping girl, 13
IPSWICH: An 84-year-old wheelchair-user has been cleared of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.
Sidney Calver, who has a false leg, was accused of tickling the girl under the arms, on her back and on her stomach to liven her up after she told him she had been in some tiring lessons at school, Ipswich Crown Court was told.
Prosecutors said Mr Calver had pulled himself into a standing position and held on to the handlebars of the girl’s bike and then allegedly put his hand inside her lower clothing and underwear and touched her genital area.
But jurors at his trial disagreed and found the defendant not guilty.
Mr Calver, of Waterford Road, Ipswich, had always denied a single offence of sexual activity with a 13-year-old girl on June 16 last year.
Charles Myatt, prosecuting, told the court that prior to the alleged incident the girl thought of Mr Calver as a “friendly, pleasant, kind old man”.
The court heard that after his arrest Mr Calver admitted giving the girl sweets and money and tickling her under the arms and on the back and stomach, but denied touching her in a sexual way under her clothing.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 6 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 9 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 10 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?