Ipswich: Wild nights ahead at Waterfront bar with Cam the giraffe
- Credit: Archant
A HERD of giraffes are set to descend on the region this summer as part of a zoo’s anniversary celebrations – and one of them will be coming to the Waterfront.
Colchester Zoo’s Stand Tall for Giraffes project has been launched to celebrate the zoo’s 50th anniversary this year.
Ipswich printing firm Fuller Davies and Isaacs on the Quay have sponsored one of 30 colourful giraffes, all 2.5m, which will be spread around the streets this summer.
Each of the 30 giraffes has been sponsored by a regional business, with each firm choosing their design from more than 100 submissions.
Fuller Davies chose Cam by Suffolk artist Cyndi Speer and the finished sculpture paid a visit to the printing presses yesterday.
He said: “We were very taken by Cyndi’s design, which links Colchester’s Roman heritage with the concept of future conservation, with animals forming an integral part of the artwork. It’s a wonderful way to illustrate Colchester’s rich history alongside the ethos of the zoo and looked fantastic on our premises this week.
“We’re very happy to be playing a part in the zoo’s 50th birthday celebrations and wish it many more happy and successful years in the future.”
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
Cam will be located at Isaacs on the Quay throughout the 12-week campaign.
Tanya Hart, marketing and event manager for Isaacs, said: “She’s beautiful. And we’ve been inspired by her design in all that we do over this summer – from our change of menu designs to our new exciting Zoo Days venture that will take place over August bank holiday. We’ve gone wild in art to celebrate Colchester Zoo’s big birthday.”