Orwell Bridge re-opens following strong winds
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The Orwell Bridge has re-opened this morning after a four hour closure due to strong winds.
Highways England took the decision to close the bridge following information from the Met Office.
It announced on Saturday afternoon that it would be closing the bridge at around 8pm.
Highways England said that it had expected the worst of the weather to be between 10pm and midnight and that it would continue to monitor the bridge during this time.
While the bridge was closed drivers were advised to take a diversion route via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
The closure was the 14th to take place on the bridge in the last six years.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 Good Inside cafe opens for 'real food' takeaways in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Three fined for breaching Covid rules at 'gathering' after reports of loud music
- 4 What was unearthed during the BBC's Antiques Roadshow Ipswich episode?
- 5 Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- 6 Ipswich child rapist gets 21 years for 'despicable' crimes
- 7 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 8 Warning after distraction thefts at supermarkets
- 9 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 10 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk