It's official - Reg is a hero
REG Driver became an official Unsung Hero after being awarded a medallion by Ipswich Mayor Richard Risebrow.At the age of 83, Mr Driver has been organising the Remembrance Sunday parade at Christchurch Park for the last 25 years.
REG Driver became an official Unsung Hero after being awarded a medallion by Ipswich Mayor Richard Risebrow.
At the age of 83, Mr Driver has been organising the Remembrance Sunday parade at Christchurch Park for the last 25 years.
He has also been involved in keeping the Poppy Appeal going in the town since 1977.
And at this years Remembrance Service in the park on Sunday it was not only the soldiers who lost their lives for their country that were being remembered but Mr Driver.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Risebrow said: "There are people who work in this community who may not get on the Queen's honours list but deserve some form of recognition."
A surprised and modest Mr Driver was given a medallion with the Ipswich Borough Crest on as recognition of his work in the county, but he was quick to point out that the work he does is always carried out as part of a team.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 8 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 9 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
He said: "This has really surprised me, I did not expect this at all.
"I have got very good support from the British Legion – I don't believe in hogging everything and believe that we should share things out."
Having fought in the second world war as part of the Western Desert Force, his work is extremely important to him.
Mr Driver took over organising the Poppy Appeal in 1977. He said: "They suddenly found that there was no-one to do it.
"I thought there is no way we can not have a Poppy Appeal in Ipswich, in my town, so I took it on."