Jail for distraught daughter

PUBLISHED: 12:26 21 July 2001 | UPDATED: 10:21 03 March 2010

AN IPSWICH woman has been jailed for three months for a string of offences said to have been committed as a result of the effect her mother's death had on her character.

AN IPSWICH woman is starting a three month prison sentence today for a string of offences said to have been committed as a result of the effect her mother's death had on her character.

Linsey Kilpatrick admitted committing the offences between July 2000 and June this year.

South East Suffolk Magistrates heard the earliest of the charges she faced related to an incident of arson on July 26 last year in Downside Close.

Anita Addison prosecuting said: "On that date residents noticed fire coming from rubbish bags on the balcony. Kilpatrick was seen on the balcony near the fire but was taking no action to put it out. The neighbours were very alarmed because of the smoke and flames."

Kilpatrick later pleaded guilty to deliberately starting the fire that caused £47 of damage.

She also admitted making a number of hoax emergency calls between August 18 and 28 last year. Miss Addison said: "The defendant harbours a fixated belief that the ambulance service was some how responsible, by delay in their response to react, for the death of her mother.

"It does seem to be for this reason she has persistently abused the emergency telephone system, calling all three services to be called."

Kilpatrick faced two charges relating to an incident at Ipswich Borough Council on March 29 this year when police were called to remove her from the reception.

Miss Addison said officers were threatened when they asked Kilpatrick to move and when she was later arrested she kicked out and injured an officer's leg. Kilpatrick admitted assaulting a police officer and putting people in fear of violence.

The court also heard that Kilpatrick had admitted two thefts from town centre stores in Ipswich on December 12 last year, the theft of vodka from Asda, in Colchester, on June 7, and the attempted theft of lager from a Spar shop, in Colchester, on June 12. She also asked for two further offences on June 12, one for stealing and one for attempted theft, to be taken in to consideration.

David Hutson, mitigating, told the court Kilpatrick had never been in trouble before the death of her mother.

He said: "There was a tragedy when her mother suddenly died and there was a delay in the ambulance arriving. Factually, whether that contributed in one way or another we will never know but in her mind there is a connection."

Sentencing Kilpatrick to consecutive one month sentences for the charges of arson, making hoax phone calls and assaulting a police officer, chairman of the bench Nicholas Ridley said: "Obviously you have got serious problems and we cannot help you with some of those problems because you have got to deal with them yourself. But for these three offences, only custody is appropriate."

Kilpatrick received shorter concurrent jail sentences for the other offences.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star