James Marston: Where did this summer-like weather come from?
- Credit: Archant
ONE minute it’s the depths of winter, the next the sun is shining and the world is a different place.
Dear readers, I haven’t stopped, and it must be something to do with the weather.
Suddenly I haven’t got a moment to myself and when I do I am bored anyway.
This bank holiday weekend I was over-imbibing in London – isn’t drinking expensive these days – and then rounded off with a spot of dinner in Felixstowe because I have recently lost the will to cook.
This week I have a lot of religion to get through including a visit to the cathedral and a service at which I am playing hymns I do not know at the ancient church of St James in Icklingham where, according to the churchwardens, I am now the official organist because no one else wants the job and I can just about pull out the Great To Pedal if push comes to shove.
I have already expressed my desire to avoid weddings because I couldn’t bear to get the fat and wide bit wrong when the bride comes up the aisle and I shall eschew funerals because, apart from Abide With Me the bereaved would have to settle for things I know well like Kumbaya - which isn’t fashionable, Morning Has Broken - not everyone is a fan of Cat Stevens and, Away In A Manger and not every dies at Christmas.
Unfortunately I am rather limited when it comes to organ playing so I am having to learn four hymns this week on top of trying to get my garden to look something like a garden instead of a patch of grass and clean my bathroom which I have let go as only those who live on their own and receive few guests can.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 5 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 6 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 7 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Driver fined £100 after accidentally entering wrong date on car park app
- 10 Court orders Ipswich drug dealer to repay £63,000
Anyway do you know Hail The Day That Sees Him Rise or Lord Enthroned In Heavenly Splendour? Because I don’t and I can only hope they don’t involve lots of black notes and any twiddly bits.
So what with one thing and another I am looking forward already to the weekend when I can hole up away from the madding crowd in my small Felixstowe flat with sea views (distant) in a darkened room with a damp flannel on my forehead.
The problem is that doesn’t sound much fun really either does it?