Jazz chart topper coming to Ipswich
RISING star Katie Melua is set to play Ipswich Regent later this year.The singer, who blends jazz and blues and whose debut album Call Off The Search could top the charts tomorrow, is booked in on March 17, the last date on her first UK tour.
RISING star Katie Melua is set to play Ipswich Regent later this year.
The singer, who blends jazz and blues and whose debut album Call Off The Search could top the charts tomorrow, is booked in on March 17, the last date on her first UK tour. Tickets for the concert went on sale today.
Katie may only be 19 but she is already considered as one of the top in her profession with the world at her feet.
Call Off The Search was only released two months ago but since then she has headlined major concert venues, appeared on the Royal Variety Performance, achieved a top ten single with Closest Thing To Crazy and sold more than 300,000 copies of the album.
You may also want to watch:
And now her tour holds the promise of being a sell out affair.
"I have been itching to get out on tour," said the Georgia-born star. "Now the dates are announced I can count the days down until it all begins.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 4 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 6 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 7 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
- 10 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
"I love walking out on stage and connecting with my band and the audience. There's nothing like it."
Katie, who moved to Belfast as a nine-year-old, has a voice and style likened to multi-award winning American singer Norah Jones.
She started writing songs two years ago and with her parents help set up a small studio at home. She is influenced by Queen, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Eva Cassidy, Irish folk music and Indian music and believes strongly in live performance.
And though she is still in the early days of her career she has created a buzz of excitement throughout the industry.
Barrie Marshall, of concert promoter Marshall Arts, said: "Katie is a breath of fresh air. She looks amazing, has a unique vocal style and the ability to captivate an audience through her live performance."
n Katie Melua will play Ipswich Regent on March 17. Tickets are on sale now priced £16.50 and are available at the Central Box Office, Princes Street, Ipswich, by calling 01473 433100 or online at www.ipswich-ents.co.uk