Jeweller comes to aid of theatre group
AN Ipswich jeweller has come to the aid of a theatre company by designing a prop fit for royalty.Red Rose Chain Theatre Company, currently based in Fore Hamlet, are currently preparing for a production of Hamlet.
AN Ipswich jeweller has come to the aid of a theatre company by designing a prop fit for royalty.
Red Rose Chain Theatre Company, currently based in Fore Hamlet, are currently preparing for a production of Hamlet.
The company is known for their performances in Rendlesham Forest each summer and will be putting Hamlet on show in August.
The Shakespeare play tells the story of the Prince of Denmark and struggles within the royal family and one of the key props Red Rose Chain needed was a crown.
You may also want to watch:
The company approached Riley and Riley jewellers, based in the Buttermarket, for help and now they have unique, specially designed crown for actor Jimmy Grimes to wear.
Mark Riley, who designed the crown, said: “Red Rose Chain came up with the idea of us making the crown and I went away and produced a series of sketches which I presented to Jimmy Grimes and the director, Joanna Carrick.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 3 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 7 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
“The crown is made of sterling silver and it weighs more than 450 grams. Generally, mass-produced silverware costs around £2 per gram so this represents about a thousand pounds worth of crown.”
The final design created by Mr Riley is a simple circle of silver decorated with a pattern of flickering flames.
He said: “You don't often get the chance to work on a project like this.
“This is sort of thing I love doing but I'm not expecting to start a new career as a costume designer!'
Red Rose Chain will be performing Hamlet in Rendlesham Forest between August 8 and 26.