Jeweller comes to aid of theatre group
AN Ipswich jeweller has come to the aid of a theatre company by designing a prop fit for royalty.Red Rose Chain Theatre Company, currently based in Fore Hamlet, are currently preparing for a production of Hamlet.
AN Ipswich jeweller has come to the aid of a theatre company by designing a prop fit for royalty.
Red Rose Chain Theatre Company, currently based in Fore Hamlet, are currently preparing for a production of Hamlet.
The company is known for their performances in Rendlesham Forest each summer and will be putting Hamlet on show in August.
The Shakespeare play tells the story of the Prince of Denmark and struggles within the royal family and one of the key props Red Rose Chain needed was a crown.
The company approached Riley and Riley jewellers, based in the Buttermarket, for help and now they have unique, specially designed crown for actor Jimmy Grimes to wear.
Mark Riley, who designed the crown, said: “Red Rose Chain came up with the idea of us making the crown and I went away and produced a series of sketches which I presented to Jimmy Grimes and the director, Joanna Carrick.
- 1 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 4 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 5 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 6 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 7 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 8 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 9 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 10 Redundant care home being used as homes applying for planning after 5 years
“The crown is made of sterling silver and it weighs more than 450 grams. Generally, mass-produced silverware costs around £2 per gram so this represents about a thousand pounds worth of crown.”
The final design created by Mr Riley is a simple circle of silver decorated with a pattern of flickering flames.
He said: “You don't often get the chance to work on a project like this.
“This is sort of thing I love doing but I'm not expecting to start a new career as a costume designer!'
Red Rose Chain will be performing Hamlet in Rendlesham Forest between August 8 and 26.