Job boost as UK 'Ikea' moves in
SCORES of jobs are set to be created when a company styling itself the "UK's Ikea" moves into Ipswich next month.The Range Home and Leisure is taking over the former Homebase store on the Suffolk Retail Park beside Yarmouth Road.
By Paul Geater
SCORES of jobs are set to be created when a company styling itself the "UK's Ikea" moves into Ipswich next month.
The Range Home and Leisure is taking over the former Homebase store on the Suffolk Retail Park beside Yarmouth Road.
Up to 70 jobs could be created at the store that has been empty for more than two years.
You may also want to watch:
The Range is based in Plymouth and has stores throughout the southwest of England and south Wales.
Ipswich will be its first store away from its south coast heartland.
- 1 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 2 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 3 Person taken to hospital after collision in Sainsbury's car park in Ipswich
- 4 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 5 New special school planned for former BT site
- 6 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 7 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 8 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 9 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 10 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
The company was founded 15 years ago by Plymouth businessman Chris Dawson.
Its stores sell a wide variety of goods at low prices – from furniture and leisure goods to DIY supplies and textiles. Most of its stores also have a garden centre and a cafe.
The move to the Suffolk Retail Park is a massive boost for that area, which had seen all its major tenants move out except for Halfords.
The retail park's future had been in doubt – but the arrival of a potentially-strong anchor store may encourage more retailers to move into some of the smaller units on the park.
The Range is due to open in October, once a major upgrade of the unit at the park is completed.
Staff are currently being recruited through the Ipswich JobCentre.