Job boost as UK 'Ikea' moves in
SCORES of jobs are set to be created when a company styling itself the "UK's Ikea" moves into Ipswich next month.The Range Home and Leisure is taking over the former Homebase store on the Suffolk Retail Park beside Yarmouth Road.
By Paul Geater
SCORES of jobs are set to be created when a company styling itself the "UK's Ikea" moves into Ipswich next month.
The Range Home and Leisure is taking over the former Homebase store on the Suffolk Retail Park beside Yarmouth Road.
Up to 70 jobs could be created at the store that has been empty for more than two years.
The Range is based in Plymouth and has stores throughout the southwest of England and south Wales.
Ipswich will be its first store away from its south coast heartland.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 8 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
The company was founded 15 years ago by Plymouth businessman Chris Dawson.
Its stores sell a wide variety of goods at low prices – from furniture and leisure goods to DIY supplies and textiles. Most of its stores also have a garden centre and a cafe.
The move to the Suffolk Retail Park is a massive boost for that area, which had seen all its major tenants move out except for Halfords.
The retail park's future had been in doubt – but the arrival of a potentially-strong anchor store may encourage more retailers to move into some of the smaller units on the park.
The Range is due to open in October, once a major upgrade of the unit at the park is completed.
Staff are currently being recruited through the Ipswich JobCentre.