Job loss blow at Ipswich factory
ALMOST 50 Ipswich people could lose their jobs as CompAir proposes to close its foundry.CompAir, one of the world's leading compressed air and gas system manufacturers, has announced it may cease the production of castings.
ALMOST 50 Ipswich people could lose their jobs as CompAir proposes to close its foundry.
CompAir, one of the world's leading compressed air and gas system manufacturers, has announced it may cease the production of castings.
This would see the closure of its Ipswich-based foundry – and put 48 people out of a job.
The proposal comes as CompAir attempts to become increasingly competitive.
You may also want to watch:
A company spokesman said: "This is a strategic decision as part of our efforts to build a strong and competitive business by concentrating on the core manufacturing technologies associated with our products.
"While it is with regret that we have had to make these difficult local changes, we are operating in an increasingly cost conscious market and we therefore propose to cease casting production next February."
- 1 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 2 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 3 CCTV issued after man 'spits' at women in central Ipswich
- 4 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 5 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 6 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 7 Man accused of stealing phone from woman in Ipswich street
- 8 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 9 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
The proposal to close the foundry is currently under a three-month consultation, during which time all alternatives will be considered and employee representatives will be consulted.
The final decision will be made early next year.
Even if the foundry does close in February, this will not affect the jobs of the 140 other employees based at CompAir's Ipswich manufacturing site.