Jobs boost for Felixstowe
FELIXSTOWE was today set for a jobs boost as Morrisons announced a big expansion of its new store at the resort.More than 100 jobs are on offer at the supermarket, which is being rebranded following the company's takeover of the Safeway chain in a multi-million pound deal.
FELIXSTOWE was today set for a jobs boost as Morrisons announced a big expansion of its new store at the resort.
More than 100 jobs are on offer at the supermarket, which is being rebranded following the company's takeover of the Safeway chain in a multi-million pound deal.
But while Morrisons ownership of the store in Grange Farm Avenue will be good news for some, a campaign is already under way to save the site's Post Office, which the company is to axe.
The store will be trading under the new banner of Morrisons from October this year.
Pauline Martin, Safeway human resources manager, said, "All of our existing staff are very positive about the future of this store and looking forward to the new opportunities that Morrisons will create."
Staff at Felixstowe Jobcentre Plus will be working with Pauline Martin and her personnel team from Safeway during the recruitment process.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 4 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 6 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 7 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 10 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
There are a variety of jobs on offer on both a full and part time basis, ranging from shelf stackers to department managers.
The first stage is an open evening at the JobcentrePlus office in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe on Wednesday July 14 between 6pm and 9pm. People will be able to pick up an application form and book an interview.
There will be another recruitment day for general vacancies on September 4 and JobcentrePlus has more details.
Dee Saxby, Felixstowe JobcentrePlus Manager said, "The store expansion is good news for Felixstowe and we are looking forward to working with Safeway to fill these vacancies".
Campaigners against the Post Office closure have launched a petition and hope to persuade Morrisons to change its mind about the facility, which serves an area of 7,500 people and is also used by hundreds of firms from Felixstowe port.