Ipswich motivational speaker celebrated with honorary women's award
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A mum who became a best-selling author and motivational speaker following her struggle with chronic pain has been nominated for an award by a ground-breaking movement by women.
Women Appreciating Women (WAW) is a worldwide movement by women, for women, to appreciate and support each other in business, projects and general well-being.
Josephine Kalagira has been nominated for the WAW Honorary Award for her positive contributions to society and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at the virtual awards 2021 in London today.
The 37-year-old created a free Facebook community called Thrive and Shine Through Your Setbacks, which has inspired hundreds of women.
Ms Kalagira said: "I know many women who are struggling right now and, believe me, I totally get it — I have been there myself in the past still struggle but has learned to manage and balance myself with ease.
"I understood the frustration with my physical and emotional challenges and needing someone to be there for me to listen, support me be of an inspiration to not give me up."
"I realised that most people wouldn't be able to freely open up if they didn't have someone who has had a lived experience."
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 3 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Man who left taxi driver with serious head injuries admits attack
- 6 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 7 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 8 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 9 Being called ‘woke’ by older people an ‘insult’ says Suffolk students
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
Some of the women who have been presented with WAW Honorary Awards previously include:
- The first lady of Jamaica Hon. Juliet Holness MP
- Founder of Ann Frank Trust Gillian Walness MBE
- Educator Anna Kennedy OBE
- Former vice-president of Zimbabwe Dr Joice Mujuru
- Veteran Hollywood make up artist Kim Elba
- Chief executive of Diana Awards Tess Ojo
- Former pilot and business development leader Tara Howard
- International artist Dr Vivian Timothy
- Visionary leader Dr Viola Edward
- Top photographer Monika Schaible
Ms Kalagira is putting on a free Facebook masterclass this Friday at 4pm for women, to help them overcome their physical and emotional wellbeing challenges.