Jury clears man of rape charge
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.
Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
During the two-day trial, which ended on Thursday, the jury heard the woman had been enjoying an evening out in Stowmarket in June last year.
Peter Fenn, prosecuting, said the defendant met the woman in Jokers nightclub and then bumped into her again in the town at 2am.
The woman claimed Sheldrake tried to kiss her and then pulled her towards him. She said she fell backwards and banged her head against a window, knocking herself out. She claimed she was being raped as she came to.
She said she went to a nearby public toilet and returned to find Sheldrake had disappeared along with her handbag.
- 1 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 2 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 3 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 6 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 7 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 8 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 9 Jailed in November: The criminals locked up in Suffolk last month
- 10 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
Sheldrake denied raping the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, but admitted a charge of theft.
He will be sentenced for taking the handbag later this month.