Jury clears man of rape charge
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.
Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
During the two-day trial, which ended on Thursday, the jury heard the woman had been enjoying an evening out in Stowmarket in June last year.
Peter Fenn, prosecuting, said the defendant met the woman in Jokers nightclub and then bumped into her again in the town at 2am.
You may also want to watch:
The woman claimed Sheldrake tried to kiss her and then pulled her towards him. She said she fell backwards and banged her head against a window, knocking herself out. She claimed she was being raped as she came to.
She said she went to a nearby public toilet and returned to find Sheldrake had disappeared along with her handbag.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 3 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 6 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 7 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 8 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 9 3 new eateries for you to try as Covid rules ease
- 10 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
Sheldrake denied raping the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, but admitted a charge of theft.
He will be sentenced for taking the handbag later this month.