Just weeks left for Post Office
WARREN Heath post office has just five weeks of serving customers before its doors shut and Ipswich is left with another facility closed.The Post Office made its decision in March to close the branch in Felixstowe Road and despite anger and concern of customers, the shutters will come down on July 19.
WARREN Heath post office has just five weeks of serving customers before its doors shut and Ipswich is left with another facility closed.
The Post Office made its decision in March to close the branch in Felixstowe Road and despite anger and concern of customers, the shutters will come down on July 19.
The closure of Warren Heath will be less than three months after the Foxhall Road branch was shut down. Other post offices in the area include Stutton plus Ufford also due to close this summer.
They are among the 30 branch closures across the country included in a nationwide programme designed to safeguard the future of the urban post office network.
You may also want to watch:
As with Foxhall Road, a spokesman for Post Office Ltd, said the closure at Felixstowe Road was agreed with the sub postmaster who wants to leave the business.
The sub postmaster at Felixstowe Road however, told The Evening Star he did not wish to comment on the closure at this stage.
- 1 Could Aldi closure prompt all change in Ipswich shops?
- 2 Aldi store on Ipswich estate 'set to close within weeks'
- 3 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?
- 4 Gymophobics ladies' gym in Ipswich set to close down
- 5 Four arrested after drug warrant carried out at Ipswich property
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Churches prepare to open at Quay Place and the former Odeon cinema
- 8 Mum praises trampoline park after changing rules for autistic son
- 9 Patient visiting rules relaxed at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 10 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
George Hooper, head of area for Post Office Ltd, said: "We fully appreciate the concerns expressed by those who let us have their views and have taken account of them in making this final decision.
"However the issue is not about the future of an individual branch but the overall viability of our urban network.
"Of course, no one likes to see the branch nearest to them shut but even with the closure of Warren Heath customers will still have reasonable access to Post Office services they value and trust."
The outgoing sub postmaster will receive compensation on the closure of his branch from a £270 million fund approved overwhelmingly by MPs where the case for a radical overhaul of the urban network was clearly set out.
Mr Hooper, added: "The remaining two post office branches in the area are conveniently accessible to customers and are within a mile of Warren Heath post office."
Offices in Queens Way, Nacton Road and Heath Road have sufficient capacity to handle the additional demands of new customers moving from Warren Heath, he added.
N What do you think? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk