K Bar and Grill head chef Sci Daniels from Ipswich appears on Masterchef: The Professionals
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich head chef who juggles a fast-paced cooking career with single parenthood made his television debut on Masterchef: The Professionals last night.
Father-of-two Simon Daniels, known as Sci, has led the team at K Bar and Grill in St Nicolas Street for five years.
He cooked up a storm in the Masterchef kitchen on Wednesday, facing a gruelling skills test – and only just fell short of a quarter final place.
The 37-year-old’s unusual take on chilli con carne impressed Gregg Wallace – who called Sci’s avocado ice cream “inspired” – but left fellow judges Monica Galetti and Marcus Wareing divided.
“It has been a great experience and hopefully I have made my home town proud,” he said.
“I am a single dad and it can sometimes be tough juggling that with being a chef.
“I also struggle with dyslexia and ADHD and I wanted to go on the show to prove that you can cook from your heart and still be successful.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 3 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 4 Keys secured as 'Goliath' £1.2m needed to restore burned down church
- 5 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk neighbourhoods with highest Covid rates
- 6 Jailed in June: The Suffolk criminals locked up last month
- 7 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 8 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 9 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 10 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
“I hope I have done that and I hope I have made my kids proud.”
Sci, who is dad to Olivia, eight, and Dylan, six, was born in Ipswich with an award-winning chef as a father.
He added: “I knew right from the age of about nine that I wanted to cook and be a chef.
“The team at K Bar and Grill are really supportive, we’ve done well in the past few years and were rated in the top three Suffolk restaurants recently.
“It’s a hidden gem in a lot of ways and it’s a great place to work.”
Sci now plans to continue with his career at K Bar and Grill – but said he would not rule out applying again next year.
Watch Sci’s stint on Masterchef: The Professionals by clicking here.