Kent Lodge Residential Home in Ipswich shut down after vulnerable residents put at ‘significant risk’
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The owners “made little attempt” to address serious concerns repeatedly raised by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the CQC said.
The CQC was left with “no option” but to cancel the registration of the residential home to protect the safety and welfare of its residents, the official regulator told this newspaper yesterday.
The decision, which came after a tribunal at Colchester Magistrates’ Court, means the provider is legally banned from running a residential home service at the premises.
During the last CQC inspection last month, 14 residents were living at the home, which had a capacity for 30 older people.
Suffolk County Council, which had several residents placed at the home, and the CQC are helping relatives of residents to find safe, alternative accommodation.
It is understood one of the residents is a centenarian.
Jemima Burnage, head of inspection for adult social care in CQC’s central region, said: “People are entitled to services which provide safe, effective, compassionate and high quality care and the owners of Kent Lodge Residential Home have failed their residents.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
“The provider was placing people at significant risk of receiving inappropriate or unsafe care and made little attempt to address the issues we identified despite having several opportunities. For this reason we had no option but to cancel the registration.
“Our priority is always the safety of people using health and social care services and we would not take this kind of action if we did not feel there was a serious risk to people, their health and wellbeing or that the environment they were in was unsafe.”
The CQC carried out an inspection of Kent Lodge Residential Home in
November 2011. It found that the service was not meeting four of the five required regulations. Inspectors found inadequate care records, inadequate provision of prescribed medication, no evidence of effective staff training, support and supervision and a lack of a robust quality assurance and monitoring system.
There were five inspections of the residential care home this year alone. Major concerns over the quality, safety and monitoring of the service were found at each one.
The management said improvements were under way but inspectors found no evidence of this.
A CQC spokesman said: “For example, the fire alarm system was found to be inadequate for the type of premises, emergency exits from some bedrooms were in excess of the recommended distance for escape in the event of a fire and a number of exit doors were key-operated and not easily opened without the use of a key or code.”
A SCC spokesman said: “Following the outcome of the tribunal, our immediate priority is now to work with residents and their families and move residents to other suitable accommodation with the minimum of disruption.
“We hope to move everyone to their new homes by Friday, November 6. We will do our utmost to offer people choice and to keep friendship groups together.”
Pauline Kent, who has been the owner of Kent Lodge Residential Home for 37 years, declined to comment.