Kent: Suspect package found near railway line
PART of an historic city centre was closed off by police tonight after a suspect package was found near a railway line.
Trains have been stopped in Canterbury, Kent, and a number of roads closed after a member of the public reported the package in Old Dover Road just after 4.20pm.
Kent Police said they were also dealing with a second incident where a small fire had been discovered in a Marks & Spencer store in St George’s Street.
BTP and Army bomb disposal experts are also in attendance.
Detective Chief Superintendent Chris Hogben said: “Kent Police and our partners are dealing with a serious incident which I appreciate is causing some disruption to local residents.
You may also want to watch:
“At the moment we cannot formally connect the two incidents.”
There continues to be no reported injuries at either incident.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 6 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high