Killer set to hang
TONY Fetherston's killer is set to hang for murdering him at his holiday home.Joseph Hazel, 30, was sentenced yesterday to the death penalty on the Caribbean island of St Kitts after he had been found guilty by a majority verdict earlier in the month.
TONY Fetherston's killer is set to hang for murdering him at his holiday home.
Joseph Hazel, 30, was sentenced yesterday to the death penalty on the Caribbean island of St Kitts after he had been found guilty by a majority verdict earlier in the month.
Hazel, a painter, lived only a few hundred yards from the holiday home owned by Woodbridge millionaire Mr Fetherston and his wife Margaret in Basseterre, St Kitts. He shot the 65-year-old former RAF pilot on January 26, 2000, in the garden while his wife was a feet away talking to their daughter, Alex, in New York on the phone.
Mrs Fetherston said: ''It was generally felt he was a very bad lot. Maybe Tony's death has stopped a lot of bad things that were going on, on the island. There are people on the island having a party at the moment, I'm sure.
You may also want to watch:
''My feeling is that he did a very terrible thing to my husband who really did a lot for the island.''
Hazel had already spent nearly 1,000 days in prison while awaiting trial and it is expected that he will appeal against the sentence.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 7 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 8 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 9 Ed Sheeran to end break from music with performance at Big Weekend
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors