Killer set to hang
TONY Fetherston's killer is set to hang for murdering him at his holiday home.Joseph Hazel, 30, was sentenced yesterday to the death penalty on the Caribbean island of St Kitts after he had been found guilty by a majority verdict earlier in the month.
TONY Fetherston's killer is set to hang for murdering him at his holiday home.
Joseph Hazel, 30, was sentenced yesterday to the death penalty on the Caribbean island of St Kitts after he had been found guilty by a majority verdict earlier in the month.
Hazel, a painter, lived only a few hundred yards from the holiday home owned by Woodbridge millionaire Mr Fetherston and his wife Margaret in Basseterre, St Kitts. He shot the 65-year-old former RAF pilot on January 26, 2000, in the garden while his wife was a feet away talking to their daughter, Alex, in New York on the phone.
Mrs Fetherston said: ''It was generally felt he was a very bad lot. Maybe Tony's death has stopped a lot of bad things that were going on, on the island. There are people on the island having a party at the moment, I'm sure.
''My feeling is that he did a very terrible thing to my husband who really did a lot for the island.''
Hazel had already spent nearly 1,000 days in prison while awaiting trial and it is expected that he will appeal against the sentence.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 5 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 6 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 9 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 10 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut