Kings Lynn speedway chief defends track
A TOP speedway promoter has broken his silence on claims that the race track where a rider died is dangerous.King's Lynn Knights man David Nix was killed following an accident at the Norfolk Arena stadium on Wednesday night.
By Matt Eley
A TOP speedway promoter has broken his silence on claims that the race track where a rider died is dangerous.
King's Lynn Knights man David Nix was killed following an accident at the Norfolk Arena stadium on Wednesday night.
Speaking on the King's Lynn Knights clubcall line the club's promoter, Nigel Wagstaffe, said health and safety standards at the stadium are up to scratch.
You may also want to watch:
It is the first time he has spoken on the record since the tragic events earlier this week.
He said: "All I can say is the facts and that is that whatever fence had been at the track it wouldn't have made a difference – the rider never touched the fence.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 10 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
"Health and Safety have been involved as have the police, they were there yesterday and everything is fine.
"Paramedics and cover of ambulances was more than was required."
He continued: "The facts are that everybody, police and Health and Safety, felt that everything that needed to be done was done and a clean bill of health has been given to the stadium."
Mr Wagstaffe also confirmed that Saturday's fixture between King's Lynn and Poole Pirates would take place.
There will be a minute's silence before the race and a collection for a memorial fund for 25-year-old David Nix.
The promoter also spoke of his sadness at the events. He said: "Well I thought personally after Wednesday night I never wanted to see another speedway race again."
He continued: "It's the worse thing in the world as a promoter but we will get through this, firstly for David's family and the club and speedway in general."
The latest tragic accident comes just weeks after Lawrence 'Lol' Hare suffered terrible injuries in a crash in Newport, South Wales.
The Ipswich-based rider faces the rest of his life in a wheelchair.