Kylie fans starstruck at bank branch
HAIR stylist Tom Clements couldn't get Kylie Minogue out of his head when he spotted her by chance in a queue at the bank.Felixstowe man Tom clapped eyes on the international star when she was carrying out a mundane chore at an HSBC branch in Chelsea, London.
HAIR stylist Tom Clements couldn't get Kylie Minogue out of his head when he spotted her by chance in a queue at the bank.
Felixstowe man Tom clapped eyes on the international star when she was carrying out a mundane chore at an HSBC branch in Chelsea, London.
While others gawped and whispered the 20-year-old bravely took a step forward and politely asked for her autograph.
He was left spinning around when the pint-sized pop star readily agreed and even posed for a photo.
Tom, who works at the Naya salon in Chelsea, recently moved to London from his home in Brotherton Avenue, Trimley St Mary. This was his first celebrity sighting but he said he hoped it wasn't his last, given the fact Chelsea's other famous residents include Elizabeth Hurley.
He said: “I was in the branch sitting in a queue and then I spotted her sitting in the queue too. She was chatting with her friend and totally oblivious to everyone looking at her.
- 1 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 2 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 8 Revealed: The latest Covid rates in every Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 10 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
“I decided to go over because I thought 'I'm never going to see her again' and she can only say no.
“I said 'sorry to interrupt you, can I have your autograph' and she said 'no problem'. Although I had a slip of paper, I didn't have a pen so I tried to reach for the bank one, which was attached to a wire, but it would not stretch so she jumped up to use it.”
Although Tom wouldn't describe himself as a die-hard fan of her music, he insists that “everyone knows and loves Kylie” and said he wouldn't change a thing.
He added: “I asked her friend to take a picture of us on my phone. We had a little chat and she asked me how long I had been in London. She was very friendly, gorgeous and really small.
“My friends went crazy when I told them. They didn't believe me and said it couldn't have been her in the bank but luckily I had the picture for proof.”
Since appearing as Charlene in Neighbours, Kylie has experienced phenomenal success across the world, principally as a singer but with some film roles under her belt too. Her duet with Jason Donovan in 1989, Especially For You, sold one million copies in the UK and cemented her pop career.
In 2005 she battled breast cancer and following her recovery, performed her Showgirl Homecoming tour.
Have you spotted a celebrity somewhere you didn't expect? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com.