Landlady's terror at burglar in bedroom
A PUB landlady today praised punters who came to her aid after she woke to find a burglar in her bedroom.Kim O'Hagan, of The Dales pub, Ipswich, recalled the terrifying moment as she confronted the man alone in her upstairs bedroom while the pub below was packed with drinkers.
A PUB landlady today praised punters who came to her aid after she woke to find a burglar in her bedroom.
Kim O'Hagan, of The Dales pub, Ipswich, recalled the terrifying moment as she confronted the man alone in her upstairs bedroom while the pub below was packed with drinkers.
Mrs O'Hagan, 44, was feeling ill so she went to bed at 8.30pm Friday night leaving her husband, Steve, 48, and staff serving drinks in the busy bar.
She woke at 10.15 pm to hear noises and was confronted by a masked man in her bedroom. He had smashed a window in the sitting room and climbed in before making her way to her room.
You may also want to watch:
"I heard shuffling around in the rooms and thought it was Steve checking up on me," she said.
"I heard footsteps and someone came in about three to four feet into the bedroom.
- 1 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 5 Man, 20, to face trial over £1,500 drug haul
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 8 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 9 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 10 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
"He was wearing a woolly hat, an anorak and a scarf wrapped around his face with just his eyes showing.
"I screamed and he hesitated. He stood back and ran down the passage and went out the way he came in.
"I must have screamed about five times. I thought shall I tackle him or scream? I screamed once then just kept screaming. Someone in the car park even heard me."
Steve, 48, dashed up the stairs followed by a few of the punters. Some of the drinkers also went outside to try and grab the man, who had run out onto the flat roof.
"The regulars were really good," said Kim.
"Steve came rushing up and one bloke grabbed a pot, two went round the side and another couple went outside. One bloke grabbed a plank of wood and went in the back garden.
"It was horrible. I still feel bad now."
This is the second time in three years that burglars have struck.
The first incident was about three years ago.
"I think they were on the lookout for little things. I was burgled once before so I never leave valuables lying around," she said. The pair are now stepping up security.
The man is described as white, around 6ft tall and aged between 25 and 30 years old.
Anyone with information should call Pc Kevin McGlinchey at Ipswich CID on 01473 383192.