Legionnaires disease confirmed on liner
TWO cruise liner passengers have tested positive for Legionnaires Disease, a spokeswoman for Ipswich-based Fred Olsen confirmed The Black Watch, operated Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, docked at Dover two days early.
A THOROUGH clean up of a cruise liner is under way today after two of its passengers tested positive for Legionnaires' disease.
The Black Watch, operated by Ipswich-based Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, docked at Dover two days early after seven passengers fell ill with flu-like symptoms on Friday.
The ill passengers were seen by the ship's doctor and taken to hospital in Stockholm, with two testing positive for the Legionella bacteria, a spokeswoman for the company said.
All of those taken to Stockholm have now returned home with the exception of one.
A spokeswoman for Fred Olsen said the Health Protection Agency are “pleased” with the cleansing programme in place.
She said: “We are carrying out a very deep cleansing programme. The whole of the water system is getting flushed through.
- 1 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 4 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 5 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 6 Strong interest expected as 'prime' town centre shop unit hits market with price tag of more than £1m
- 7 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 8 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 9 U-turn on decision to scrap last buses in Ipswich - for now
- 10 Five West End shows coming to Ipswich
“The HPA are pleased with everything we have been doing. If there is anything lurking in the ship, this will certainly knock it on the head.
“All the passengers got off the ship having had a wonderful time. Everyone is progressing well.”
Tomorrow's 10-day cruise to Portugal is still on schedule.
The cruise, which docked at 9pm yesterday, included stops at ports in Russia, Estonia, Finland and Sweden.
Were you on the ship? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org