Search

Lessons as usual at college

PUBLISHED: 17:37 23 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:58 03 March 2010

MANAGEMENT and the teachers union NATFHE have agreed that there will be no industrial action at Suffolk College on May 28 and 29.

All student teaching and assessments will continue as normal at the Ipswich college on those days and there will be no disruption to planned activities.

MANAGEMENT and the teachers union NATFHE have agreed that there will be no industrial action at Suffolk College on May 28 and 29.

All student teaching and assessments will continue as normal at the Ipswich college on those days and there will be no disruption to planned activities.

College principal, Professor Dave Müller and Ian Cowley, chairman of NATFHE – which had called for strike action – have issued the following statement:

"The corporation, college management and the lecturers' union NATFHE are concerned at the continued under-funding of the further education sector and the current pay for staff.

"On an annual basis colleges have been required to fund cost of living pay rises without receiving any additional income. This is not a position which can continue and there needs to be recognition by Government that additional funding to support staff salaries is desperately required by the FE sector".

Prof Müller, added: "I am pleased that the union has acted responsibly in ensuring that all teaching and assessments can take place as normal and that there will be no disruption to any college activity".

The chairman of NATFHE added: "Our concerns are not with Suffolk College corporation nor the senior management but with national funding streams which are insufficient to allow appropriate cost of living rises for staff salaries. "Our Union is grateful for the support of College management which underlines the seriousness of the situation".


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

An Ipswich-based law firm said it is unlikely the coronavirus stamp duty holiday will be backdated to March, despite a growing campaign. Last week chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that property buyers would pay no stamp duty on homes worth less than £500,000. According to Birketts law firm, this means someone buying a house for £341,091 – the average price of a house in East Anglia – would save £7,054. Now, a national law firm, Simpson Millar, has called on the government to backdate this tax cut to the beginning of lockdown on March 31. Sarah Ryan, head of private client and conveyancing at the firm, said: “We of course welcome the plans announced to freeze the stamp duty costs on any property up to the value of £500,000 which will not only encourage potential buyers to move on and up the proverbial ladder, but will also help to retain jobs in the real estate sector. “However, there is no denying that for some, in particular those individuals, couples and families who have managed to complete on the purchase of their home either during lockdown, or in the immediate aftermath, this will come as a bitter blow.” A petition calling for the government to backdate the holiday even further has gained nearly 10,000 signatures. If the petition reaches 10,000 signatures the government has to respond and if the petition reaches 100,000 then a debate in parliament must be held. But Karl Pocock, partner and head of tax at Birketts, does not think the government is likely to make this move. He said: “Although there are calls for Rishi Sunak to backdate the reduced stamp duty rates to the start of lockdown, the Chancellor’s goal seems to be to galvanise the housing market now. As such, much as a backdated rate cut would be very welcome news for anyone that had completed on a property purchase prior to the change in stamp duty rates, it is, in our view, unlikely. “The various residential property teams at Birketts have seen a surge in transactions as lockdown restrictions were lifted. Much of this activity was existing transactions restarting. However, we expect that the reduction in stamp duty rates will provide a further, sustained, boost to this part of the economy in the short term.”