Levington: All aboard! Keith opens up his double decker diner
When you’re out on the road and in need of a bacon sandwich, a mobile cafe on a lay-by is normally just the ticket.
But one Suffolk entrepreneur has taken the idea and reinvented it – by kitting out a double decker bus and turning it into a quirky roadside cafe!
Keith Gibson, 48, of Lincoln Terrace in Felixstowe, bought the bus in September and has converted the downstairs into a kitchen and the upstairs into a dining area.
The Doubledeck Diner serves a number of different meals, including an all-day breakfast.
And despite only setting up shop three weeks ago on the old Felixstowe road at Levington where Operation Stack is held, Keith has high hopes for his venture.
The former bus driver said: “It’s kind of quirky but I like it.”
Upstairs are freestanding tables and chairs for customers to use while they tuck into the freshly-cooked food - and some of the original bus seats have also been retained.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 3 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 4 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 5 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 6 Felixstowe's Wicker family beheaded by vandals
- 7 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 8 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
- 9 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 10 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
“I have had some nice comments and I’m hoping that it will take off and become somewhere where everyone will want to come to.”
The bus has proved to be a focal point since it first parked up.
And Keith says it has been a hit with residents in Levington, with some bringing their own mugs for a morning tea.
As his business continues to grow in popularity, he has even begun work on the lay-by by clearing up litter that is strewn across the area every morning.
He added: “When I first got here the lay-by was a bit of a mess and I like to keep things clean so I clean up on a daily basis.”
The Doubledeck Diner can be found at the Operation Stack area, in the Levington layby. For more information on the diner, or if you would like to make an order, call 07866 882052.
? Have you been refurbishing an old vehicle for a new purpose? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or e-mail starletters @archant.co.uk