Lidl agrees to keep current Felixstowe store if new one given go-ahead
- Credit: Archant
Budget supermarket firm Lidl UK has given an assurance that its current Felixstowe store will remain open if it is granted permission to build a second, larger supermarket in the town.
Felixstowe Town Council has given its backing to the proposals for the new 29,000sq ft store at Haven Exchange, off Walton Avenue, and Suffolk Coastal is expected to make a final decision soon.
The 2.5-acre site site opposite Dock Gate One had earlier been earmarked by Asda for a new supermarket and filling station.
Bilfinger GVA, instructed by Lidl to prepare a report on the new store, said Lidl was considering closing its current store in Langer Road once the Haven Exchange store was trading.
However, planners were told the current shop would be retained because it provides “a valuable service and function for what is currently the more deprived area of town where car ownership is lower than the average”.
The foodstore complements other uses in the area, including the new Premier Inn hotel, and the council could impose restrictions to secure its future use either as a foodstore or potentially for community use.
Bilfinger GVA said: “Since submission of the pre-application request Lidl has reviewed its proposals for the town and decided that it will continue to trade at Langer Road.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 3 New Sports Direct still expected by mid-2022 in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 5 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 6 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 7 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 8 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
“The store has traded very well and Lidl considers, having regard to the layout of the highway network and settlement more generally, that a second store at Haven Exchange will serve the western and southern parts of Felixstowe and that at Langer Road the northern and eastern parts.”
The new store is described by the company as as one of its Lidl of the Future concept stores featuring a sleek, modern design and state-of-the-art facilities. It will create 40 jobs.