Search

Lightning strikes Ipswich home

PUBLISHED: 01:12 01 July 2005 | UPDATED: 05:57 02 March 2010

IT COULD have been so much worse.

Elayne Evans was completely unaware her attic was on fire after lightning hit an overflow pipe.

It was only on hearing a huge bang, which cut off her electricity, that she and a neighbour decided to investigate a fuse box that was smelling.

IT COULD have been so much worse.

Elayne Evans was completely unaware her attic was on fire after lightning hit an overflow pipe.

It was only on hearing a huge bang, which cut off her electricity, that she and a neighbour decided to investigate a fuse box that was smelling.

Today Mrs Evans thanked her neighbours John and Rita Brennan for helping her discover the fire so quickly.

She said: "If my neighbours hadn't stayed to check things it would have been ages before I found the fire.

"I can't thank them enough for helping me. Both sets of neighbours down the road have been brilliant."

Today Mrs Evans and her partner David Green of Highfield Approach, Ipswich described their home as "jinxed" after it was burgled and hit by lightening in the space of three months.

Mrs Evans, 50, was at home on the telephone when the house was hit by lightening at about 6.15pm yesterday.

She said: "I heard a big bang and the phone went dead and then the power went off. I checked the fuse box and that was smelling so I got a neighbour to help me check because David was not at home.

"We then went to check the tellies upstairs and heard noises and opened the loft hatch and discovered the fire.

"We caught it quite early and got everyone out and the neighbours got the garden hose up there and then the fire brigade came and took over."

Crews from Prince's Street and Colchester Road tackled the blaze which was under control within an hour.

Mrs Evans added: "All we have now is cold water as it hit the water tank. "The tank was plastic and so it's melted and so have the pipes.

"Downstairs the electricity is on, the fire brigade did that before they left."

The couple's 23-year-old son, Philip, has learning disabilities and was forced to spend the night on the sofa in case water leaked through into his bedroom.

He could also not watch television upstairs and Mr Green said he was struggling with the break in his routine.

He added: "We have got to get him back to normal and settled.

"Last night he didn't really understand why he couldn't watch television and he got angry with us."

Mrs Evans said only now has the shock begun to sink in.

She was also at the home when a burglar targeted the house earlier this year and stole a handbag and wallet.

Following that incident the couple contemplated leaving their home of ten years but today they are planning to stay and have already contacted their insurance company hoping to fix last night's damage.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star