Like Grease but they stuck together
IT WAS like a scene out of Grease the musical, where a gang of teenage boys hang around on a street corner watching the Pink Ladies walk by.But the date is 1940 and the place is Rands Way in Ipswich, and there is not even a whiff of a greasy burger.
IT WAS like a scene out of Grease the musical, where a gang of teenage boys hang around on a street corner watching the Pink Ladies walk by.
But the date is 1940 and the place is Rands Way in Ipswich, and there is not even a whiff of a greasy burger.
Ken Allen met Edna Jones on the corner of Rands Way, when he was standing with a group of friends.
Ken, 79, said: "Three or four of us used to meet there at night time, we used to see the girls when they were walking home from the factory."
Sixty-two years later, the couple, who have lived in Ipswich all their lives, have celebrated their diamond anniversary.
Edna, now 78, worked for ER and F Turner, an Ipswich engineering company, on Foxhall Road as a machinist while her husband was in the RAF where he manned guns on a mission in Africa.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 5 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 6 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 7 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 8 24-year-old man banned from driving for three years
- 9 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 10 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
Ken now enjoys relaxing and listening to Frank Sinatra, while Edna prefers to concentrate on her knitting.
The couple celebrated their 60 years of marriage with a party at the Claydon Community Centre with 150 friends, one travelling from America.
Their 56-year-old daughter, who lives in Ipswich and their 53-year-old son from Baylham were also there.
Ken, who lives with Edna on Speedwell Road, said he did not know if there was a secret to their long married life.
He said: "We take life as it comes and live day to day with trust."