Like Grease but they stuck together
IT WAS like a scene out of Grease the musical, where a gang of teenage boys hang around on a street corner watching the Pink Ladies walk by.But the date is 1940 and the place is Rands Way in Ipswich, and there is not even a whiff of a greasy burger.
IT WAS like a scene out of Grease the musical, where a gang of teenage boys hang around on a street corner watching the Pink Ladies walk by.
But the date is 1940 and the place is Rands Way in Ipswich, and there is not even a whiff of a greasy burger.
Ken Allen met Edna Jones on the corner of Rands Way, when he was standing with a group of friends.
Ken, 79, said: "Three or four of us used to meet there at night time, we used to see the girls when they were walking home from the factory."
You may also want to watch:
Sixty-two years later, the couple, who have lived in Ipswich all their lives, have celebrated their diamond anniversary.
Edna, now 78, worked for ER and F Turner, an Ipswich engineering company, on Foxhall Road as a machinist while her husband was in the RAF where he manned guns on a mission in Africa.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
- 6 Pub bosses hope for 'return to normality' as Covid cases fall in Ipswich
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 10 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
Ken now enjoys relaxing and listening to Frank Sinatra, while Edna prefers to concentrate on her knitting.
The couple celebrated their 60 years of marriage with a party at the Claydon Community Centre with 150 friends, one travelling from America.
Their 56-year-old daughter, who lives in Ipswich and their 53-year-old son from Baylham were also there.
Ken, who lives with Edna on Speedwell Road, said he did not know if there was a secret to their long married life.
He said: "We take life as it comes and live day to day with trust."