Little Learners Nursery blaze in Ipswich being treated as arson
- Credit: Archant
A suspicious blaze that broke out at Little Learners Nursery in Hogarth Road last night is being treated by police as an arson incident.
It was the second incident to take place in the street last night - the first was at a charity depot, where fridge-freezers were set alight outside the premises at around 6.20pm. Two vans parked outside were also broken into, but there were no injuries.
The first fire is also being treated by police as an incident of arson.
Little Learners Nursery, based in Landseer Play Centre, Hogarth Road, sustained minor structural and smoke damage after a suspicious blaze in the open space between the nursery and the Ipswich Furniture Project.
Crime scene investigators carried out an initial investigation last night to determine if the fire was started deliberately.
Police said last night that a group of youngsters had told officers at the scene that the fire was started by a male who “jumped over a fence” and threw an “ignited substance” near the nursery.
Steve Rhind, station commander of the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said last night: “The fire service was mobilised to a fire in the open. Upon further investigation, it was found that there were some fridge freezers in the open stored in the yard which were well alight upon arrival.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
“We deployed jets, hose reels, and breathing apparatus to bring the fire under control, and then it was a case of damping down, going in to the nursery to check the integrity (of the building).
“The nursery will be closed tomorrow due to not being able to be cleaned and also because of the smell of the smoke which got inside.
“There are some toilet vents which have come through the wall (of the nursery), and because they are plastic they have melted.”
A man was seen in the area at the time and is described as white, of a thin build, between 19 to 23 years-old. He was described as wearing a dark coloured hooded jumper, had a dark coloured bandana and white high-top trainers.
Witnesses or anyone with information about either incident should call PC Luke Burgin from Ipswich Police on 101, quoting crime reference 37/22981/16 or 37/22984/16. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.