Live travel update: Trouble on the trains
MAIN roads in Suffolk were flowing freely this morning – but there were problems for the county’s commuters to London.
I drove along the main roads in the Ipswich area this morning and traffic was flowing freely this morning – but there were problems for the county’s commuters to London.
The A12 and A14 between Ipswich and Felixstowe and past Martlesham to Woodbridge were largely clear of the snow and ice patches of the last few days.
But rail problems gave long delays in the London area. Termination of services at Stratford meant many travellers had to switch services at Stratford.
Problems with overhead power lines were blamed by rail operators, National Express.
Express trains coming in from East Anglia, in the main, were getting through to Liverpool Street, but with only one of four main lines open, there was chaos on all other services. It was not immediately clear what was causing the line problems – but weather is the prime suspect.
Back in Suffolk drivers faced restrictions on the Orwell Bridge where investigations prior to roadwork were taking place. The speed limit has been reduced to 50mph.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 6 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 7 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 8 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 9 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 10 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
Elsewhere in the UK, heavy snow and continuing sub-zero conditions caused huge problems, with drivers trapped in cars across a large swathe of Scotland’s central bellt.
- Check our travel section for all the latest.