London: Family of man shot dead by police condemn Tottenham riots
THE family of a man shot dead by police say they “are not condoning” the riots and looting that rocked their local area last night.
The trouble flared up in Tottenham, north London, two days after Mark Duggan, 29, was gunned down.
It followed a peaceful march by members of the local community demanding “justice” for Mr Duggan’s relatives.
Mr Duggan’s brother’s Shaun Hall told Sky News: “We’re not condoning any kind of actions like that at all.
“It seems to be the press who are generally saying that it is linked to my brother. OK some questions were supposed to have been answered, they weren’t answered, therefore there was a domino effect from that, we don’t condone that at all.
“I know people are frustrated, they’re angry out there at the moment, but I would say please try and hold it down. Please don’t make this about my brother’s life, he was a good man.”
He said that the family is “devastated” at his death.
- 1 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
“We’re all devastated about the mishap, we don’t actually know what has actually happened. I suppose that is what is the most grilling thing for us at the moment.
“Nobody’s has actually come forward and told us ‘this is what has taken place’. Whether we believe what they’re saying or whether we don’t, there should be somebody here putting my parents’ minds at rest about whatever’s going on.
“The whole family’s devastated. We don’t want Mark portrayed as some kind of gangster, he was a family man, as you’ll see from the true pictures that you’ll see of him now.”
He dismissed as “utter rubbish” the allegations that he had shot at police
“My brother’s not that sort of person. He’s not stupid to shoot at the police, that’s ridiculous.”