London: Yorkie advert star Stuart Mungall facing jail after pleading guilty to killing ill wife
The star of the original Yorkie chocolate bar adverts is facing jail after admitting killing his terminally ill wife.
Stuart Mungall, 71, denied murdering former actress Joan, 69, at their home in south London in December last year.
But the prosecution accepted his plea to guilty on the grounds of diminished responsibility caused by depression following the strain of caring for her.
The Old Bailey judge was asked by the prosecution to jail Mungall – who also appeared in The Bill and Casualty – because Mrs Mungall, who had only a matter of months to live, had not asked to die.
Mark Dennis QC, prosecuting, said Mrs Mungall, who had a degenerative disease, told a nurse the day before her death that she was “taking it all in my stride”.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Mungall was smothered with a pillow in what Mungall saw as a “mercy killing”. He then took tablets to end his own life.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 7 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront