Looking back to when the Ipswich Arts Festival took over Cornhill
- Credit: Archant
This summer is not going to be short of family friendly events happening in and around Suffolk’s county town, but do you remember when the Ipswich Arts Festival took over the Cornhill in 1983?
Open air performances were one of the main attractions at the festival, with performers showcasing their talents outside the town hall, interacting with their audience in a way that is more limited in a theatre.
But getting close to the action brings with it its own perils, with some viewers finding themselves spontaneously part of the act.
Hundreds of people would gather in the town centre to enjoy the entertainment.
Other features at the arts festival included live music, with musicians taking the time to perform their craft.
A large number of market stalls also pitched up for the event.
Did you go to or perform at the Ipswich Arts Festival in 1983?
To share your memories of the event, email our picture desk.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich